The impact of CBD in sport - how CBD can help recovery and improve performance
Athletes often face intense physical stress, which can lead to injuries, pain and inflammation. In recent years, many athletes have turned to CBD to treat these ailments. In this article, we will discuss the effects of CBD in sport. How CBD products (such as CBD oils) can help recovery and improve performance in sport. We also share the experiences of well-known athletes and how they have benefited from the use of CBD.
What is CBD?
CBD, or cannabidiol, is one of more than 100 cannabinoids found in hemp plants. Unlike THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), the psychoactive compound in cannabis, CBD does not cause intoxication or euphoria. Instead, CBD has many therapeutic effects, including pain relief, reducing inflammation, alleviating anxiety and improving sleep quality.
It is important to know the differences between the various CBD oils so that you can choose the right product for you. Full spectrum oils contain all the healthy cannabinoids, terpenes and flavonoids of the hemp plant. CBD isolate is a pure CBD compound with no other ingredients. Due to the lack of terpenes and flavonoids, the benefits of CBD isolate are more limited.
Benefits of CBD for athletes
We have written an extensive article on how CBD affects the human body. The same lessons apply to sport. For athletes, there are many benefits of using CBD, including:
1. Pain relief
Pain caused by intense physical exertion is a common problem for athletes. CBD has proven to be an effective pain reliever that works as well as many traditional painkillers, but without their side effects. For example, NFL player Rob Gronkowski has said he uses CBD to relieve pain and speed up his recovery from injuries. He has also mentioned that CBD helps him sleep better, which is important for an athlete’s recovery and performance.
2. Reducing inflammation
Inflammation is the body’s natural response to damage and infection. However, excessive inflammation can lead to chronic pain, joint stiffness and other health problems. CBD has anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce inflammation and speed healing. MMA fighter Nate Diaz, among others, has said that he has benefited from the anti-inflammatory effects of CBD because it has helped him recover faster from intense physical exertion.
3. Anxiety relief
In competitive situations, athletes are often under a lot of pressure and stress, which often affects their performance. The calming and anxiolytic effects of CBD help to reduce anxiety and improve concentration, and it has been shown to help performance in challenging situations such as during sports competitions. Professional golfer Rickie Fowler has said that he uses CBD because he found it improves his concentration and helps him relax on the golf course.He has also said that he clearly benefits from the calming effects of CBD, which help him to manage pressure in competitive situations.
4. Improving sleep quality
Good sleep quality is important for recovery and performance. CBD can help improve sleep quality and reduce insomnia, which can be particularly useful for athletes who travel frequently between time zones. For example, NBA player Klay Thompson has reported using CBD to improve sleep quality and speed up recovery after games and practices.
5. Improving performance
Although there is still little research on the direct effects of CBD on athletes’ performance, many athletes have personally experienced the positive effects of CBD. The positive effects have also been noticed by footballer Megan Rapinoe. He has reported using CBD to relieve pain, reduce inflammation and improve sleep quality, which has helped him improve his performance in the field.
How to choose a quality CBD product for athletes?
Choosing the right CBD product for athletes can be challenging, as there is a wide variety of products on the market and variations in quality. Here are some tips to help you choose a quality CBD oil:
- Choose a trusted manufacturer: buy CBD products only from well-known and trusted manufacturers that offer third-party laboratory test results to ensure the purity and potency of the products.
- Check the ingredients: high quality CBD products usually contain only natural ingredients such as MCT oil or cold-pressed hemp oil. Avoid products containing artificial additives or preservatives.
- Choose the right strength: CBD products are available in different strengths, so it’s important to choose the right strength for your needs. Start with a lower strength and increase the dosage if necessary. For example, Arctic Oils 5% CBD oil is good for the first-timer.
- Remember the legality of CBD: Before you buy CBD products, make sure they are legal in your country. In Finland, for example, the sale and use of CBD products is allowed as long as they do not contain more than 0.2% THC. For more information on the legality of CBD in Finland, click here.
How to use CBD in sport?
The use of CBD in sport varies depending on the purpose for which it is used. Here are some guidelines to get you started with CBD:
- Start with a low dose: It is recommended to start with a low dose, especially for beginners, and gradually increase it until the desired effect is achieved. For more information on how to start using CBD, please see this guide.
- Choose the right product: CBD is available in different forms, such as oils, capsules, creams and edibles.
- Choose the product that best suits your needs and lifestyle. For example, if you suffer from local pain or inflammation, CBD cream can be an effective option. If you want CBD to affect the whole body, oil or capsules are a better choice.
- Try different ways to use it: you can use CBD in many different ways, such as sublingually (under the tongue), orally (by mouth) or topically (applied to the skin). Try different uses to find the one that works best for you.
- Take into account training and competition schedules: the effects of CBD vary depending on the product and dosage used. It is therefore important to take CBD at the appropriate time before training or competition to get the best possible benefits. You can also take CBD after training or competitions to speed up recovery.
- Talk to your doctor: although CBD is generally safe and has few side effects, it is important to talk to your doctor before starting to use CBD, especially if you are taking other medicines or have health problems.
It is important to remember that CBD is not a panacea and is not a substitute for traditional methods of improving sports performance, such as nutrition, rest and proper training. However, combining CBD with these traditional methods can help athletes achieve better results and improve their performance.
The combination of sport and CBD is likely to become increasingly popular in the future as research into its use and effects continues. It is possible that in the future we will see more and more athletes and sporting organisations adopting CBD as part of a programme to improve the wellbeing and performance of athletes.
To keep up to date with the use of CBD in sport and its potential benefits, follow research and news on the subject and listen to the experiences of other athletes. The most important thing is that you make your own decisions about CBD use based on knowledge, research and your doctor’s recommendations.
Please remember that Arctic Oils CBD oils are registered as cosmetic products and are not intended for therapeutic or medicinal purposes!